Wednesday 18 February 2015

Will the Real Mr Grey Please Stand Up?

Okay, so this is just going to be a mini rant kind of thing, regarding the whole 50 Shades of Grey drivel. 

I've read one of the books I am afraid to say. To be fair, I didn't fully 'read' it, after a few chapters I got bored and just skimmed through the rest. So I don't know the full ins and outs of the plot, or where the story went after the first installment. 


When the book came out I was working in retail and I watched the book sell by the box-load. It was rather shocking to say the least. Seeing all the thirsty ladies stocking up on their future diddle material gave me the creeps, and knowing I was supplying them with it made me feel like a masturbation pimp. Wasn't exactly what I wanted as a career, but it paid well. 

What gets me, is I genuinely do not understand the attraction. It's a modern day BDSM Mills & Boons book that if rumour is right, was developed from fan fiction written about Twilight. That itself is enough to make me throw up a little in my mouth. I despise Twilight and all things Twilight related, so I should have done a little investigating before I even glanced at the damn thing.

I'm not going to go into detail about the story because everyone and their dog knows what it is about. I'm just going to mention my gripes with it. Firstly, the characters are unrealistic, hollow and I felt no sympathy for anyone. Secondly, none of the characters were even likeable so it made me uninterested in what was actually happening. Thirdly, the plot itself fell flat within the first couple of chapters. And lastly, what the hell is up with E.L James and all those descriptive words? Did she read a thesaurus moments before putting pen to paper? 


What I hate the most about 50 Shades is its uneducated look into the practice of BDSM. It gives over the impression that people who are into being 'doms' are aggressive, violent and disturbed people (who care little for their subs and are only interested in their own self gratification) whereas 'subs' are weak, powerless and just desire being controlled. This could not be further from the truth. 


This gives me a segue straight to the reason why I am writing this post. The 2002 movie, Secretary. If you ever need a realistic and arousing example of what BDSM is like, then watch this movie. The characters have more depth, are easier to relate to and overall is a more enjoyable movie. 


The story follows Lee, a young girl with severe emotional issues, and Edward Grey, a lawyer who clearly has just as many mental issues as Lee does. After seeing an ad for a secretary in the local paper, Lee goes to the building to apply for the job. As she enters the building you see the previous secretary fleeing the building in tears, with her possessions in hand. Yet Lee still pursues the job and after a rather bizarre interview, is successful and begins working for Mr Grey. 


I won't go into detail with this either, because I hate spoilers, but the clever thing with film is the way it sets everything up. With the previous secretary fleeing, you immediately assume that Mr Grey is a horrible person, or at least is a questionable one. But as everything unfolds you see that he is just as troubled and unstable as Lee. The development between the two characters is really enjoyable and watching how they both better each other is equal parts funny and heartwarming. Grey starts off as a very closed off, cold character who shows little emotion, but with Lee's help you can see him slowly opening up. And Lee started off as a meek, delicate girl who got picked up by her mother after work every day, then blossoms into a rather sexual and seductive woman. The submissive and dominate aspects of the film are more to do with personality that sexuality, and that is clear throughout the whole film.


To me, what makes this film so enjoyable is seeing how the submissive one is the one who actually has all the power. Not all dominate people what to sadistically violate and harm. And not all submissive people want to lick your shoe and call you master. BDSM relationships require A LOT of trust and respect. And that is something you do not get from 50 Shades.


I also need to give a little shout out for the performances in this film. You can take the most astounding script and destroy it with mediocre actors. So the majority of the popularity, if not all of it, has to do with the chemistry between Maggie Gyllenhaal and James Spader and the qualities they bring to their characters. Maggie brings to life the delicate beauty of Lee and Spader arouses (me at least) intrigue and desire with Mr Grey.


And that is why Secretary is the better movie. Who needs Christian, Mr E. Edward Grey can spank me any day.









No comments:

Post a Comment