Friday 29 May 2015

Smile You Son of A Bitch - 40 Years of Jaws

Mr. Vaughn, what we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks, and that's all. Now, why don't you take a long, close look at this sign. Those proportions are correct.


Back in the summer of 1975 a movie hit the big screens that terrified the nation. People from far and wide suddenly became too afraid to go to the beach or even go swimming anymore. The fear that lurking in that big blue sea was monster the likes of which had never been seen. A 24ft Great White Shark that was silently gliding, hunting, ready to devour and turn the sea red.......  


Fast forward to 24th August 1990, my 7th birthday. My parents passed me my main present. It was a huge box filled with packing. As I was pulling the stuffing out and getting deeper and deeper into the box I began to wonder... was there anything even in the box? But just as I gave up hope, I pulled out the last piece of packing and lying right there at the bottom were all four Jaws videotapes, staring up at me. This memory will forever be etched in my memory.

You see, I am a huge Jaws fan. Always have been. I vaguely remember watching the Jaws 3 intro when I was really little and freaking out over the half fish in 3D. I think I was about three-ish when I saw that. Once I got over the initial fear, curiosity kicked in. Hence why my parents got me the tapes. I would go as far as saying that gift, the video set, was probably the best gift I have ever received.

It has been 25 years, and I am still in love with this film. It's my number one. The movie is perfection, the novel is exquisite and the soundtrack is breathtaking. I could literally gush about it for hours. I watch the film roughly once a week. I have it on my iPhone so sometimes I watch it whilst travelling to and from work. So, to do the math I have seen it over 2,500 times. I know that sounds a little obsessive, borderline crazy, but you don't understand the bond I have with this film. I hate it when people speak negatively about it, and just the thought of anyone even considering remaking it makes me want to burn the whole world down.

Yeah, I'm obsessed.

And now this film is celebrating it's 40th anniversary. And that to me is insane. It doesn't feel like it's THAT old. I don't feel like I'm old enough to have been religiously watching a film for 25 freaking years...... but apparently it's true.

To celebrate the anniversary of Jaws, this masterpiece is returning to the cinemas. I for one am there with bells on. I had the privilege to watch it on the big screen back in 2010 when the PCC (Prince Charles Cinema) showed it along with Jurassic Park. And I will definitely be going to see it again, but this time I'm taking my mum.

You see, the whole reason I love this movie, the reason the obsession came about was because of her. She watched it in the cinema when it first came out. It was her first date with my biological father. Had she not seen it, I doubt she would have introduced me to it all those years later. 

I'll be honest, I do actually have a couple of issues with the film. The actual shark used on set is almost laughable, but then I can argue that back in the 70s they didn't have the levels of CGI we have today and after watching Sharknado we can all agree, it could have been much worse. The fact that the shark didn't work for most of the filming was clearly a blessing as Spielberg used camera placement instead, which brought an ominous and foreboding element to the film. I actually preferred not seeing 'Bruce' because it let me use my own imagination which is sometimes more fun.

Another issue I have with the movie is the fear mongering. Before the release of Jaws, no-one really gave sharks much thought, then Jaws came out and created this image of an aquatic maniac. With movies like Gremlins, Frankenstein, Dracula... we can laugh it off because those monsters don't actually exist.... but sharks do. Now we perceive them as monsters who lurk just off the coast of any beach, waiting to tear us apart and devour the pieces. Anyone with half a brain can tell you that couldn't be further from the truth. Sharks are harmless. The don't search the sees for droplets of blood, they are inquisitive creatures yeah, but they aren't out to attack. If they ever do it is because that diver in an all black scuba suit resembles a seal from beneath. So if anything, it's our fault for trespassing in their home. We don't belong in the sea. Anyway, back on topic, once Jaws was released, shark hunting became a sport. Macho idiot fishermen took to their boats ready to fight these creatures. And now they are on the endangered species list.

But regardless of any issues I have with the film, the second I hear the intro, I'm glued to the TV. I could watch it again and again. As a matter of fact, I am going to put it on now. It doesn't matter that I know what is going to happen already. It doesn't matter that I know the entire transcript off by heart. It doesn't even matter that I actually watched it whilst getting dressed this morning. It is a wonderful movie and I enjoy it every single time I watch it.


Happy 40th Anniversary Jaws... from a huge fan. 







little dumb side-bar.... You have no idea how difficult it has been for me to name this bloody post. I really wanted to call it "You're Gonna Need a Bigger Boat" because that is the most famous quote of the movie, but I've already used it for a different post. So I started thinking of other ones to use, but that got a little out of hand as I have loads of favourites. So I picked out my ultimate favourites...

Smile You Son of a Bitch
That's Some Bad Hat Harry 
Show Me The Way To Go Home
I Think He's Come Back for His Noon Feeding
My Kids Were on that Beach Too
I Can do Anything, I'm Chief of Police
Amity as you Know Means Friendship

... and messaged everyone I knew to make them choose. 'Smile' won out, and here we are. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment